Thursday, February 17, 2011

Collegial-Style Ministry

I've learned the value of collegial-style ministry recently.

The sad part is that it has been staring me in the face for quite a while now, but for some reason, I am just beginning to see it. Maybe it is because the ministry area I am working in is in a constant state of revision. Maybe it is because the staff that I work with so supportive and include me in almost every single conversation that passes through the office. Maybe it is because the pastoral staff trusts that my ministerial work is being done even when I am not at the church.

Whatever the reason, the value of this collegial-style ministry is beginning to shape the way I understand church work, seminary, interdependency, and trust.

At many points of our lives we are invited into community. A few times in our lives, like when we are searching for calls, graduating from college, or getting ready to make career changes, we sense competition and do not lean on one another out of fear for losing out on new "opportunities." What I am finding is that through specific networks, it is in these times of self-reliance that I see our work not reflecting a Triune call on our lives.

I wonder, why is it that when the work of God in the world gets difficult, challenging, or potentially hurtful, we turn inward rather than outward?

I have seen this recently in my own world. As those who follow this blog know, I am in a pastoral staff position where I am starting and building a relationship and ministry with the University and Young Adult members and guests of this church. The challenge of that is when they are each in such different places in their faith, how do we call them one ministry? How do we process need and develop ministries that feed?

This is what I love about the Presbyterians. We believe in the Priesthood of all Believers. All persons are called to be ministers in the church and are called to contribute. Our committees (where there are many), our sessions, deacons, staffs, and fellow pastors are all called to the work of the church. It is collegial-style ministry.

However, I am honest in saying that this collegial-style of ministry is often more challenging than expected because I have to admit when I don't have it all figured out or when what I am hearing congregants say they want fails. However, this realization of the incredible beauty of collegial ministry in the depths of trials in the church--the budget and budget cuts, the decrease in attendance, encouraging and shaping stability in congregations that have had rough times--saves us all. It is our grace. It is the body of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Abbey, good to hear that you are thinking/learning a lot about how ministry works. Thanks for sharing with us! I agree with you about the importance of keeping in community as we go through this hard time of seeking a call-- I am always worried that I shouldn't share too much lest I make someone else feel bad or that their stories may make me feel more scared or anxious-- but I think is it so important that we support each other particularly now even if it is harder work that normal.

    ReplyDelete