Today was my first day as a substantial member of a church staff--one who makes decisions and plans programming and thinks in 'Presbyterian' ways. Since it is Tuesday, though, I actually attended service on Sunday as my first order of duty. As that was the case, I was immediately put into a debacle about how to create change and growth in positive ways. What I noticed surprised me. It doesn't matter what programming I provide, or how many meals to hungry University students, it is really all about the worship.
See, I thought I would be successful if I simply created good activities, food, or discussion. I was not prepared to have the conversation about what kind of worship we offer and how it reaches the demographic I am focusing on. One of the first questions I was asked, though, was about my first impression was of the worship service. I immediately said it was a little 'higher' church than I was used to. The person I was speaking with retorted curiously asking, "What about it makes it high church to you?"
Well, this got me thinking. What defines a church as being "low, middle, or high" church?
I guess in my mind the differences are seen in examples. For instance, a high church is one that strictly abides by the standing and sitting, the pomp and circumstance, and the very strict adherence to the liturgy of days gone by. I often find that there is little to no congregational participation in the worship other than with hearts and minds. To me, it feels like we are putting a girdle on the Holy Spirit and keeping people from participating in active, communal acts of worship.
To others, the high church is showing the utmost praise, adoration, and glory to God by staying inside the lines of the traditions of old. It is acknowledging the body of Christ as the priesthood of all believers throughout all of time. I get it. There is real value to this argument for walking with our brothers and sisters in Christ using the same steps.
What I wonder, though, is if some of our traditions have become idolized to the point where we do them for the sake of following tradition rather than for the sake of glorifying God. This is another place where I question if "high" church is really furthering the Gospel--which is the church's intent, right?
Low church seems to address the same issues in reverse. I often feel uncomfortable in a low church because I feel as if we are too casual about God and God's majesty. Low church is still taking notice of the body of Christ but I generally see this happening in the form of being "folksy." For me it detracts from the sacred worship of God when we interrupt the service with side notes, videos if they are not used hand-in-hand in the service, and other breaks in the flow.
So, how do we design worship as up-and-coming Presbyristas?
I think I will probably pick something in the middle. I have noticed the value of having a little give-and-take between the parishioners and pastors, but I have also noticed the importance of a little bit of formal adherence to tradition.
Where do you fall in the spectrum of "low, middle, high" church?
I'm a high church girl myself. I feel that the formality of the worship is nice for the same reason I wear my best to church. It feels like I'm giving my best to the Lord, like even the preperation for the worship is in itself worship.
ReplyDeleteIn reality, I believe if we actually listened and did what the liturgist invited us to do, we would have a fuller experience of worship. "Let us confess our sins to God..." "Let us pray..." "Listen now to a word from God..." These are not passive invitations! Words from God can come in whispers but they also come from the cross, burning bushes, and tornadic winds.
ReplyDeleteThe more ancient the practice, usually, the more I am attracted to it. I feel connected to the past and the present in that way. Mostly because without all of the distractions of the concert mentality that churches seem to have today, when we think deeply about simple things like "a word, a seed, a thorn, a nail, or a cup of cold water," (Chris Rice, singer) we can focus on Christ. It's so noisy in the world that worship can easily become too noisy. Quiet down... and then celebrate (Yeah, that hymn of commitment better be rockin'!)
Sometimes we forget that God is not our buddy first. God is the creator of light first. That seems deeper and something I want to experience more than adding another friend on Facebook.
I could go on, but I will refrain. It's good when we recognize our preferences... and it's also good to try new ways of worshiping. Perhaps as we try to become more multi-cultural, others will be able to bring their practices that will deepen our own. There I go again. Okay, I'm out!
My first inclination is to say middle but that's not quite right, instead I want to claim all three. Sometimes I want nothing more than the smell of incense and the quiet moment to pray on my knees, and other times I need to stand and raise my hands and maybe even clap as I sing. I see both ends of the spectrum as well as everything in between reflected in the bible, particularly in the psalms, which Calvin loved because he felt they expressed every possible human emotion. So I think good worship allows times for us to feel deeply connected to tradition, and times to let the creative spirit of this moment work, times for contemplation and times for participation too.
ReplyDeleteBut no matter what it looks like I think Krystal is right-- they key is being able to hear and enter into that invitation to take worship seriously. Both "low" and "high" church can fall into the trap of not taking it seriously that when we gather we do so with the assurance that God is present there. True worship takes that seriously no matter what style it is.